After four days…I’m over the crepes. Don’t get me wrong, I love crepes – they’re buttery, creamy goodness which can hold any combination of deliciousness. They’re easy to make – except for the inevitable crepe fail…They store in the fridge or freezer for a long time. They’re bipolar – can go sweet or savory…
But after this week, I’m over it. And the last of the crepes in my fridge have become the bane of my existence.
My crepes of wrath.
So here’s the last I’ll speak of crepes.
Chicken and Mushroom Crepes (serves 4)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly coat a baking dish with cooking spray
Defrost a 10oz package of frozen spinach and squeeze out excess water
1. In a medium saute pan over med/high heat melt 2 tbsp of butter with 2 tbsp of olive oil
2. Add 2 cloves of minced garlic and saute until fragrant (about 2 mins)
3. Cube 4 breasts of chicken and add to the garlic, butter, OO mix. Add salt and pepper. Brown the chicken on all sides and then remove from the pan and set aside.
4. Into the pan add 3 portobello mushrooms sliced and 1 8oz package of sliced shiitake mushrooms. Allow the mushrooms to brown on both sides
5. Add all of the chopped spinach and stir
6. Add 1 – 1 1/2 cups of the mornay sauce (mornay sauce with chicken stock recipe). And re-add the Chicken.
Note, if sauce is too thick, you can add more chicken stock…Simmer until heated through.
7. Put remaining mornay sauce in a sauce pan to heat.
8. Assemble the Crepes (Savory Crepes Recipe)
- Schmear a bit of the warmed mornay sauce in the center of a crepe
- Top with a good amount of the mushroom, chicken, spinach mixture
- Roll the crepe and place in the baking tray
- Repeat until all crepes are assembled – 8
- Cover the crepes with more of the mornay sauce
9. Into the oven until heated through – 20 – 25 minutes
Serve one portion to Joey the doorman – who much appreciated the free dinner…
OK. That’s it. Let us not speak of crepes again for a while. Crepes …out.