This past week, Chanel No 5 debuted its new ads featuring Brad Pitt. Yep, in case you missed it – which might have been impossible…cuz the spots are running constantly – even targeting men – during Sunday’s morning news programs and the afternoon and evening football.
Is it a men’s fragrance? No. It’s Brad waxing confusingly – I think about not being able to get a woman out of his mind. But, I’m not really sure…
What I do know, though, is that everyone’s talking about it.
Jen Chaney of the Washington Post describes it as: “what it looks like when Pitt tries really hard to make pretentious sentences sound meaningful while wearing a casual button-down shirt.”
No easy feat.
The use of a man and the ad itself have been a little polarizing. People either think that Brad’s careful, slow delivery is uber sexy OR they want to know ‘what the hell does this all mean?”
What it means – whether you love the ad or hate it – is that Chanel has launched its most iconic fragrance into the forefront of conversation for people of all ages. People who would have never before considered Chanel No 5 might now. People who have never heard of Chanel – have now. Chanel has garnered more press, more chatter, more engagement than it probably ever had.
And that’s a big crock of free media – well they reportedly paid Brad Pitt a cool $7mill….so, sorta free.
Speaking of big crocks….it’s crock pot season and I guest crocked at a friend’s recently.
White Chicken Chili (serves 6-8)
1. In a large saute or fry pan over medium heat, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil
2. Stir in:
- two medium onions chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers – deveined and seeded – and then chopped – best to either wear gloves for this or wash your hands immediately after working with the peppers.
- 1 tbsp + 1tsp dried oregano – crush the oregano in your palms to release the flavors
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
Saute until moderately tender – about 5 mins
3. Add in 7 chopped garlic cloves – don’t worry, you’re going to slow cook this. The garlic will not overpower. And, saute until fragrant – about 2 mins.
4. Add in 4 cooked chicken breasts – shredded. I used a rotisserie chicken from Whole Foods, because it’s just easier.
If you want to cook the breasts yourself – you can cube them and cook with the onions in step 2.
5. Add in Salt and Pepper
6. Once heated through and all flavors are combined – about 4 mins – transfer to the slow cooker
7. In a small bowl, mash up 2 15oz cans of cannellini beans (rinsed and drained) with 1 cup of Pacific Organic chicken broth.
Pour into the slow cooker.
8. Add in 1 additional can of Cannellini bean and 3 more cups of chicken stock to the slow cooker.
9. Cover and cook on low for 2hrs :45mins
10. After 2hrs :45mins, add about 1 1/2 cups of shelled frozen edamame and stir. Cover again and allow to cook an additional :15 – :20 mins.
I used 365 brand shelled edamame.
11. Serve with a garnish of chopped parsley and shredded cheddar cheese
The chili certainly isn’t as pretty as Brad Pitt. And, like the new Chanel ads, it could have used a little more spice. Next time I’d add a little hot sauce or maybe some cayenne.
As for Brad and Chanel – I’m still not sure what it all is supposed to mean. Some may think it’s a crock full of crazy – but I think it’s a crock full of free press.